Wednesday, July 10, 2019

MMTT4S - How Did We Ever Get Here?

Captain's log: 10 July 2019, In some serious Texas heat

It seems as if life is defined by migration.

According to mnn.com, Monarch butterflies take 6 months to migrate a few thousand miles. That's not the impressive part. Its lifespan is only a couple of months. So, doing the math here tells us that it takes generations to complete the migration. A typical Gray whale will travel over 10,000 miles in a year. Thankfully it will see the entire migration through, multiple times, unlike the Monarch.
PVT/Superstock SAL1554174 Closeup of a Rufous hummingbird flying 24 x 18 Poster Print
Image courtesy of
worldofhummingbirds.com

Unfortunately, the belief that hummingbirds migrate on the backs of geese is just a myth. That's a shame in my book, because it's an awesome visual, isn't it? Still, the fact that these little boogers can hum right across the Gulf of Mexico or the Mojave Desert is amazing.

Animals migrate for a myriad of reasons: food, breeding, weather, habitat loss. The migration of some animals is still inexplicable to scientists.

We humans are no different. While we have a myriad of migratory patterns, many of which are a mystery to scientists as well, we do move from place to place. We move to seek better opportunities, and/or better living conditions, to escape, to start anew, to hide, to find ourselves, to lose ourselves.

Then there's the migration from life stage to life stage.

A-1-A
Jimmy possibly considering how he got there
Image courtesy of Amazon.com
Today's tune is aptly named "Migration" and is found on Jimmy Buffett's 1974 album A1A. It's yet another reflection piece that mixes with opinion on the state of things, advice, and a glimpse into the possible future. If you think Buffett sings about himself a good bit, well...he does. He's craftily created his persona that way, along with the whole Margaritaville mystique and brand. Why not? His is an entertaining story. Plus, he tells it with the flair for adventure, romance, and the poetic that most successful storytellers possess.

When I look back on my life, my migratory patterns are interesting to say the least. As Buffett says, when "trying to figure out how I got here...some things are still a mystery to me while others are much too clear." I tend to believe that there are some things God, in his infinite wisdom, planned as non-negotiables in my life, despite my best efforts to screw them up. I also believe that God, in his infinite wisdom, let my choices dictate some of the aspects of my life. In retrospect, though, my migration fills me with awe and wonder. My physical, meta-physical, emotional, psychological journey has defined me and continues to do so. Our summer migration to Surfside beach in the summers of my youth, our regular migrations to family homes, our migration to 6 different towns while I was growing up, my migration to Miami and then to Spartanburg and then to Abilene and then to Lexington are all physical movements that heavily impacted who I am today. Our migratory patterns now to the coast, to Texas, following our children's own adventures, and escaping on our own happen for various reasons but are both a result of who we are and a cause of who we are becoming.

In Jimmy's song "Migration" he mentions the repercussions of past decisions - being a merchant marine had he not learned to sing, getting married too early being a costly choice - and how to deal with looking back. According to Buffett (and pretty much everyone else) learning from the past is crucial. Indeed it is. It's also educational. He decided that it was time to have a little fun at one point in his life. Boy do we need to remind ourselves of that, huh?

I see some similarities in one verse in which he declares it to be a mystery to him "why some people live like they do," clueless to the wonderful things happening "out there" and my mantra of living ina state of constant total amazement. Often, looking back on our own songlines will help promote this type of philosophy. At least it does for me.

See the source image
Lyle Lovett image courtesy of
esquire.com
One of my favorite lines comes from the chorus. While it does not completely define me, I can relate big time. Buffett sings, "I've got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart." As is sit here in Abilene, Texas, listening to Latino Tropical music channel on the cable TV, this sentiment is not lost on me. While I'm a Carolina boy for sure, my time in and connections to Texas have placed a permanent place deep in my heart for the Lone Star State. I could easily live here, and as I've mentioned earlier, Lye Lovett has assured me that even though I'm not from here, Texas wants me anyway. Proof that my migration has defined me.

Where my tropical gypsy soul comes from I'm not sure. Maybe its from my time spent in the Everglades or gazing out upon a 3AM orange glow over Miami or strolling along the shores all over the east and Gulf coasts or losing myself in the pages of magazines like National Geographic, Islands, or books like Treasure Island, Hawaii, Don't Stop the Carnival. I know I get some of my wanderlust from my dad and my love of the beach from my mom and wherever they got theirs from. I feel certain, though, that my life's migration has help influence it and vice versa.

So, take a listen to "Migration" and laugh about Buffett's opinion on mobile homes in the keys and what his plans once were if he made it to senior adulthood. Learn a little about his past. Tap your foot. Take some time. Reflect on your own life's migration. See if you can answer the question, "How did we ever get here?"

Aloha, amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment