Wednesday, June 12, 2019

MMTS4S Part 3 - Adventure Awaits!

Part 3 of my Margaritaville Musings and Tropical Tunes for the Summer simply adds to this pursuit of getting away. If people cling to this idea of escaping to Margaritaville - that personal destination that may be found on a map or in our minds - then traveling to exotic places just seems to fall in line.

One of my unwavering dreams in life is to travel the world, to see our planet and all its wonders. It will be a regret of mine if, as I lay on my death bed, I realize I've not done this. I'm not planning on laying on a death bed, though. If I don't go out peacefully slumped over in a lawn chair next to a favorite fishing hole with a rod and reel in my hand and a smile on my face (thanks to David Lewis for that), then it better be spectacular.

85-Year Old Dies After Gnarly Nose-ride Through Tube Ends in Tragic Wipeout on Reef

-or-

Missing Elderly Man Found Dead With Permanent Grin Frozen Atop Kilimanjaro

-or-

Last Transmission From 110-Year Old Mars Inhabitant: "Food and Fuel Gone. Oxygen Quickly Depleting. Playing My Guitar While Gazing Into Space. What a Way To Go!"

Jimmy Buffett has been afforded the privilege of traveling the world. Luckily for those of us who have only been able to do that through him vicariously (so far), he is a willing and insightful tour guide. Many of his songs take us along as he travels "his song lines, obvious and not," and we learn that the Master of Escapism actually desires a flight from his own jobs, chores, questions, and twirling plates at times.

This is another version that is fantastic live, and much like yesterday's "One Particular Harbour," it is a real crowd-pleaser. This is another top-fiver for me. Travel with Jimmy to the "Far Side of the World" and enjoy the title track from his 33rd record, but his first from his own Mailboat Records label. I love the horns and, of course, Robert Greenidge on the steel pans. Mark Twain would approve of this song, I believe, but would ask for a little satire. Otherwise, it's a perfect example of a storyteller's travels.

The link takes you to a video from Richard McLaughlin that includes the song. Check out live versions from his many live albums. You can also catch it in the lineup on RadioMargaritaville.

See the source image
Image courtesy of wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment